Saturday, October 13, 2007

#15 On Library 2.0 and Web 2.0

Reading the articles on the OCLC Next Space Newsletter, especially the article by Rick Anderson ("Away from the 'icebergs'") made me reconsider the way I felt libraries should go in the future. I've always considered that libraries should move with the times and embrace new technology and methods of providing information but I have trouble letting go of the more traditional services we offer. In his article Rick Anderson states that "As a Web 2.0 reality continues to emerge and develop, our patrons will expect access to everything – digital collections of journals, books, blogs, podcasts, etc. You think they can’t have everything? Think again. This may be our great opportunity." At almost every meeting within the library we have a discussion on falling visits/loans and what we can do to alter the trend. If libraries are to continue to grow and meet the needs of future generations then we will have to adapt and change with the times very quickly.

On a personal level the Learning 2.0 experience has made me explore many sites that I would otherwise have never encountered and hopefully will make me better able to meet the needs and expectations of our customers.

No comments: